Friday, April 1, 2011

Wildflowers

How doth the little busy bee

Improve each shining hour

And gather honey all the day

From every passing flower!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I wish I could recorded the beautiful hum and buzz of the bees in our fruit trees. Yesterday I took Hudson and we stood still and simply listened.  Afterward we watched all the types of bees buzzing to and fro. What a wondrous moment with my boy! I love that even at his young age he can appreciate and enjoy these simple delights.

P4010006

This flowing plum is dwarfed by the swaying ponderosas.

Henderson Fawn Lily up close

Nature Study has always been near and dear to my heart. The girls know quite a few names like this Henderson Fawn Lily. We live in the perfect area to study nature!

Henderson Shooting Star

This Henderson Shooting Star blends in so well with the surroundings. I remember picking handfuls of these as a child when I visited my grandparents, and now the girls can, too! P4010036

Here is another flower that blends in quite well. The girls do not particularly like it, as it is on the stinky side. I’m captivated by it’s thick stem. Northwestern Saxifrage.

P4010026

My grandfather planted these daffodils many years ago. Next to this planting are rows of tulips yet to bloom. It’s difficult to see, but there was a fat black bumblebee flying from flower to flower. Such a funny creature!

P4010037

More blossoms. :)

Palmate Toothwart

This little guy is a Palmate Toothwart.

P4010049

Buttercups! Bright waxy petals- these are perfect pressing flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment