Sunday, June 19, 2011

More Wildflowers, Fruits, and A Fly

Late Spring has brought forth more beauty to our little patch of earth.

DSC01916

gDSC01917

Aren’t these pretty? My Great Grandfather, Frank Worthington, brought these over as seeds from Ohio. Our own heirloom.

DSC01914

Plums! We did not get any last year, so we’re keeping our fingers crossed that these ripen and we are able to harvest. Plum Pudding, Plum Puffs, Plum Fruit Rolls… yeah, we’re looking forward to it.

DSC01921

More plum beauties.

DSC01922

Wild Strawberries. These gems are tiny but packed with flavor. I remember the first time I tasted one of these. We lived in Wimer, I was in 5th grade. I loved to pretend I was an early settler, and came upon several strawberry plants. Oh the sweet-tart sunshine filled flavor!

DSC01939

Along with the good, the bad. Poison Moak, as Hudson calls it. Macy has already been to the doctor once after she had an immune response to a bad case of poison oak contracted during  Morel hunting. Lindsey is the only one who hasn’t had it. I seriously wonder if we’re gaining an immunity- Macy and Hudson and Natalie almost constantly have it, but it’s only itchy like a mosquito bite- not the usual non-stop itching madness. I never remember having a ‘mild’ case as a child, but that’s all I have had. The worst is a plant has established itself right by one of our raspberry plants!

DSC01934

A wild Iris (and yes, more poison oak).

DSC01929

DSC01940

We think this is a fish fly or dobson fly.

DSC01942

Hudson asked to have the fly on his chest, but didn’t appreciate it’s rapid ascent toward his neck.

DSC01956

Apples. These were so wormy last year, and didn’t grow large. Still, we had some friends over and their little girl loved the ‘fresh apples.’

DSC01957

Isn’t it neat how these pears grow ‘upside down’? It’s another fruit that did not mature last year, but we’re hopeful they make it. Pears are a weakness for Natalie and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment