Sunday, June 19, 2011

Skivvy Tutorial

I know you’ve been aching to make your little boy (or husband?) a pair of adorable skivvies. My dad was so excited when I announced I was going to start potty training the boy that he went out and bought three packs of underwear for him- Cars, Thomas, and boxer-briefs. The box-briefs were my favorite. But that was last summer, and those undies are getting small. Plus, the design was on the rear and after watching Hudson spin in a circle like a puppy trying to get it’s tail to get a glimpse of Thomas, I decided to make him undies with a pattern on the front. I knew I should be able to use some old t-shirts and convert them into adorable skivvies. It was very easy. I’ve even made several pair for Lin and I love that they’re the only panties she wears now! For Hudson I went to our local Goodwill, which is an outlet and got several cute boy’s shirts.

DSC01872

After your pattern is cut, sew the sides and crotch. Turn underwear right-side out.

DSC01875

I cut strips for the waist and leg opening by measuring his waist and thigh and adding an inch.

DSC01878

Sew the strips together to make a loop. Then fold it over, keeping the wrong sides together.

DSC01877

Right sides together, pin the leg loops on to the underwear. Do the same with the waist, but add elastic, 1-2” smaller than the waist measurement.

DSC01881

Viola! These bad boys cost me 75 cents to make!

DSC01885

Hudson loves them, too. Using some thicker jersey fabric I also made him trainers with a sewn in liner to catch any accidents, and then went further and purchased some PUL fabric and made him waterproof trainers with removable inserts for nighttime. Lean times sure make you thrifty, but honestly, I think it’s ‘sew’ fun and love having projects to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment